To prepare for your clinical rotation please complete the following 2 steps:
1. Complete the following documents and return to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 3 weeks prior to the start of your clinical rotation:
· Student/Resident Information Form
· Criminal History Form
· Confidentiality Form
· Parking and Identification Badge Application
· Therapy Student Information Release Form (therapy students only)
2. Submit the following information to email@example.com at least 3 weeks prior to the start of your clinical rotation:
· Proof of Immunizations (MMR, Influenza, TB, HepB status documentation)
· Copy of current CPR card (must include a copy of the front and back of card)
· Copy of liability insurance certificate if your school does not provide insurance
· Documentation of fingerprinting (if assigned to a skilled nursing facility)
· Documentation of drug screen (if it is a requirement of your school)
If you have questions or concerns please contact Bonita Pawloski at the email above or by calling (616)840-8292.
Students are responsible for making their own housing arrangements and for all costs incurred. Housing is sometimes available for a weekly or monthly charge with Mary Free Bed staff or elsewhere in the community. For housing inquiries, contact Beth Ferguson, In-Patient Department Secretary at (616) 242-0380 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, view the housing options.
Meals may be purchased at Saint Mary’s cafeteria. The cafeteria is located on the first floor of the Saint Mary’s Mercy Medical Center, which is adjacent to Mary Free Bed. Hours are as follows:
6:30 am - 9:15 am
11:00 am to 1:30 pm
5:00 pm to 7:00 pm
The cafeteria is open for snack items between meal hours.
You may also bring your lunch. There's a refrigerator and microwave in the inpatient and outpatient therapy areas. You can eat your lunch in the outpatient staff lounge, the MFB Canteen, the employee lounge located in the Inpatient Building, or in the cafeteria.
For your first several days, parking is available on the top floor of the Mary Free Bed parking ramp next to the outpatient building. Enter the ramp through the visitor's entrance on Lafayette. The overhead skywalk connecting the parking ramp to Mary Free Bed is accessed from the third floor of the ramp. After you receive a parking card, you will be asked to park in a lot directly across the street from the hospital on Wealthy Street.
Please bring the name badge that is provided to you by your academic institution. You'll also be provided with a Mary Free Bed identification badge. The Mary Free Bed badge must be returned to your clinical supervisor on your final day.
Mary Free Bed has a small library of books and audiovisual materials related to rehabilitation. Saint Mary’s Mercy Medical Center also has a medical library that students may use. Their collection consists of medical, nursing, and technical literature. Services offered to students are orientation to the library, circulation of materials, reference, assistance in locating and using library materials, interlibrary loans (for a fee), and photocopying. Searches may be requested through the Mary Free Bed Education Department.
Student Health Emergency
If a student is in need of medical attention for any type of injury or health emergency during working hours, we would follow our hospital emergency procedures as we would for any employee, patient, or visitor. The nursing supervisor on duty would be called immediately to determine appropriate intervention such as sending to ER, to a physician, to home, or continuing to work. Our Infection Control Coordinator would also be available to check for anything communicable or infectious. Students are responsible for any subsequent medical costs.