The resident will have full-time status as a Mary Free Bed employee, which includes full-time benefits. The resident also will be appointed part-time faculty at Grand Valley State University, which will include access to all university resources.
The applicant must be a physical therapist or in his/her final year of an accredited physical therapy program. Applicants must have obtained State of Michigan licensure prior to beginning the residency.
The Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency program is accepting applications for the 2018 program beginning Tuesday, January 2, 2018.
Step 1: Complete the online application through the following link: (Stay tuned for correct link address)
Step 2: Mail or drop off the following documents to Mary Free Bed Human Resources:
a. Official transcript
c. Applicant Statement (no more than three pages in length)
• Why have you chosen to apply to the Mary Free Bed Orthopedic Residency Program? What types of experiences are you seeking in a residency program?
• What are your professional goals and objectives?
• Through the achievement of your professional goals, how do you envision your role/ contribution to the physical therapy profession in the next five years?
d. Three letters of recommendation/reference. The letters could include but are not limited to addressing the applicant’s: communication and team-based skills, self-directed learning, integration of evidence into practice, research experience, clinical reasoning skills and development during the applicant’s interaction with reference.
• If less than two years of experience as a physical therapist, at least one letter must be from a current or former clinical instructor and at least one letter from a faculty member.
• If greater than two years of experience as a physical therapist, one letter must be from a current supervisor and one letter from a colleague.
• Third letter MUST be from a member of faculty, a colleague or a supervisor who can speak about the applicant’s qualifications and accomplishments in research, scientific inquiry and writing.
Deadline: Friday, March 30, 2018.
Kevin Duffy, Human Resources
616.840.8318 or 800.528.8989.
Program-specific questions may be directed to:
James Gaynor, PT
Candidates will be invited for interviews with the Orthopedic Physical Therapy Residency Board. Final decisions will be made by the end of May 2018.