Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital exists to restore independence, hope and freedom through rehabilitation to people with disabilities. Mary Free Bed was established in 1891 by the Mary Free Bed Guild of Grand Rapids. The hospital is located in downtown Grand Rapids with a growing rehabilitation network that reaches throughout Michigan.
All media interviews or photographs with Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital patients, administrators, physicians and employees must be cleared through external relations. You may contact:
While on Mary Free Bed’s property, media will be accompanied by a marketing staff member or authorized representative. You’re required to check in at the front desk.
For patients’ confidentiality and for adherence to HIPAA guidelines (see section below), members of the media who enter any Mary Free Bed building without clearance will be stopped by security and asked to go to the lobby area until a marketing staff member is available.
Access to Patient Care Areas
Media access may be limited or denied to any area of Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital at the discretion of patients’ health care teams or individual physicians.
We ask that you park only in spaces specifically designated as “parking” to ensure patients have easy, unobstructed access to hospital entrances.
HIPAA Regulations & Release of Patient Information
Any patient medical information released to the news media will be done in strict accordance with HIPAA, which requires healthcare institutions to protect the privacy and integrity of patients and their personal health information.
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital works with the media to provide accurate and timely information, while respecting the confidentiality of our patients’ medical information and complying with HIPAA’s privacy regulations. However, Mary Free Bed may refrain from releasing information about patients involving cases of a sensitive nature or to ensure their safety.
All media inquiries for information about patients must be coordinated through external relations/marketing. The following standards were established for news media inquiries about the status of patients:
• All media inquiries must include the specific patient’s name and exact spelling.
• Release of any medical information beyond the patient’s condition requires written authorization by the patient or patient’s legal representative. Note: Public agencies (law enforcement, fire/rescue, etc.) are not bound by the same standards.
• Videotaped or tape-recorded interviews, photographs or any other interaction with a patient requires written patient authorization.
• The patient has the option to expressly state that he or she does not want information released, including confirmation of his or her presence in the facility.
• Public Record Cases: Patients involved in matters of public record have the same privacy rights as all other patients. For instance, the fact that a patient has been transported to the hospital from an accident, crime scene or fire has no bearing on the patient’s privacy — the name verification still applies. In such cases, media inquiries will be referred to the appropriate public agency, including the medical examiner, law enforcement agency, fire/rescue transport agency or health department that receives such reports.
We’re always happy to discuss and explain the HIPAA provisions in more detail or respond to other questions about patient inquiries.
Key rehabilitation programs include brain injury, cancer, spinal cord injury, pediatric/adolescent and stroke.
Specialty services include: orthopedic, amputee, Orthotics & Prosthetics + Bionics, rehab technology center, Motion Analysis Center, Center for Limb Differences and driver rehabilitation.
Our Executive Staff
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Medical Officer
Michael Jakubowski, MD
Chief of Staff
Sam Ho, MD
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Nursing Officer
Ingrid Cheslek, MPH
Vice President of Outpatient Development
Kevin Arnold, MM, MA, LLP, FACHE
Vice President of Network Operations
Bruce Brasser, RN, MSN, MBA, FACHE
Vice President of External Relations
Jane Brierley, MPA
Director of Research
John Butzer, MD
Vice President of Quality
Vice President of Strategic Initiatives
Jeff Garber, MPH
Vice President of Accountable Care and Medical Informatics
Andrew Haig, MD
Vice President of Orthotics & Prosthetics + Bionics
Vice President of Advancement
Vice President of Physician Practice
Vice President of Inpatient Services
Tom Stranz, MA
Vice President of Contracting and Business Development
Vice President of Outpatient Services