The 32nd Annual Mary Free Bed Fine Arts Exhibition features Michigan artists who are physically challenged. The purpose of the event is to promote community awareness and education while providing a showcase for artists.
The Mary Free Bed Guild will purchase selected works from the exhibition for permanent display in the hospital. The remaining works, at the discretion of the artists, may be available for sale.
2014 Featured Artist and Artwork: Waiting for the Parade by Loretta Rolison (featured above)
2014 Mary Free Bed Art Show Buyer's Guide - download as PDF
About the Artist
Guillian Barre Syndrome left Loretta Rolison paralyzed in 1996. But after two-and-a-half years of therapy, she recovered most of her fine motor skills and now walks with the aid of braces and a cane. She credits her recovery to the knowledgeable and caring staff at Mary Free Bed and the support and prayers from her family and friends. Rolison uses water-soluble oils to create her paintings, derived from photos, memory and her imagination.
Open to any Michigan artist, 18 years or older, who is physically challenged. Only works that have been produced after physical limitation has occurred will be accepted.
* No entry fee is required.
* Only recently completed original fine art will be accepted.
* Each artist may enter up to three pieces for possible inclusion in the show. The actual number displayed by an artist will depend on space availability.
* Works must be framed, wired and ready for hanging when submitted. Due to the nature of the facility, the Guild reserves the right to reject unsuitable subject matter.
* First-time exhibitors must submit a brief biography describing the type of artwork, and their disability and art background.
Calendar of Events
Entry Deadline - March 31, 2014
Art Delivery - April 14 (2-4pm), April 15 (11am-1pm) MFB Main Lobby
Artist's Reception (families and guests welcome) - April 27 (1-4pm)
Exhibition Open to Public - April 28 through August 31 (10am-4pm)
**Artwork will be on display at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital, 2nd Floor Monday through Friday**
Art Pick-Up - September 3 and 4 (10am-2pm)
Every precaution will be taken to assure the protection of the entries. Mary Free Bed will not be responsible for art delivered in damaged condition. Artists assume the risk for unclaimed works left after the end of the pick-up week, September 3 & 4, 2014, 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., unless prior arrangements have been made with Susan Bloss at 616.454.2563 or Sue Steketee at 616.682.0566.