Expert blog: Jessi Boehme, MS, RDN, is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist at Mary Free Bed. She and other members of the Mary Free Bed nutrition team offer tasty snack ideas for fall.
Autumn is upon us. School is in full swing, flannel-wearing is at an all-time-high and we’re savoring those last hot, sunny days. As we settle into new routines, one question I hear a lot is, “What are some healthy snack ideas?”
Snacks, in my opinion, are equally important to meals. Between-meal snacks power you through the day, keeping your stomach (“tank”) from hitting empty. You might consider hitting at least two food groups when deciding on snacks. This way, you’re sure to get a balanced, hearty snack.
Looking for additional guidance? The team of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists at Mary Free Bed have offered a list of their favorite family-friendly autumnal snacks.
- Danielle Skinner – Black bean hummus with raw peppers, vanilla Greek yogurt mixed with canned pumpkin and cinnamon, or apples with peanut butter
- Laura Ellis – Apples with cheese, peanut butter-filled pretzels, yogurt, banana bread muffins, nuts and sunflower seeds, and almond cranberry trail mix (or just dried cranberries)
- Madelynn Valu – Apples with peanut butter (a popular pick!), trail mix, roasted pumpkin seeds and yogurt with a dab of maple syrup and bananas
- Kim Meeuwsen – Apple chips (her go-to fall snack) and her favorite chili she makes each autumn (find the recipe here)
- Joanna Gritter – Honeycrisp apples dipped in Krema natural peanut butter, baked pumpkin seeds with cinnamon and cayenne powder, and her own trail mix of raw almonds, dried cranberries and chili dark chocolate pieces
- Corinthia Sain – Fresh, crisp Michigan apples plain or with peanut butter, or roasted pumpkin seeds
- Jessi Boehme – Almonds (cocoa- or coconut-dusted for fun), oatmeal with canned pumpkin, cinnamon and a little brown sugar mixed in, berries with cheese, or avocados straight up with a little salt and pepper
Notice any themes? Mary Free Bed dietitians go heavy on the apples throughout fall. Who can resist when it’s harvest time for one of our favorite Michigan crops? We hope this list offered a few ideas or inspires you to go with friends and family to your local apple orchard. Remember, snacking is meant to be enjoyable and nutritious.
Want to learn more healthy habits? Join us Monday, Oct. 10 for “Healthy Living: Eat, Drink and Move the ‘Mary Weigh'” at the Mary Free Bed YMCA. Click here for details.
Looking for more customized nutritional guidance? Check out a free informational session offered by Mary Free Bed’s Weight Management Program and let us help you set and reach your healthy lifestyle goals. Click here for a calendar of upcoming info. sessions and to see when classes are offered.
We also offer Outpatient Nutrition Services, which include one-on-one sessions with experts who can help you to meet your wellness goals.