Mary Free Bed volunteers have the opportunity to give back to the community by providing assistance to patients, visitors and staff. In addition to the joy of helping others, volunteers receive exposure to healthcare careers and special recognition. Volunteer opportunities are available for both students and non-students.
Call 616.840.8667 or email email@example.com for more information.
To become a Mary Free Bed volunteer you must be:
• 18 years or older (16 years or older for greeter/escort volunteer positions)
• Available for one shift per week
• Willing to follow the hospital’s dress code and appearance standards
• Customer-service oriented
• Able to commit to a minimum of 6 months or 100 hours (students must be able to commit to a minimum of 15 weeks)
• Able to complete pre-placement requirements, orientation and training
All volunteers are asked to read and follow Mary Free Bed’s Standards of Behavior. (Click link to view and download Standards.)
• Clerical assistance
• Child life
• College student volunteer program (see below)
• Peer mentorship
• Spiritual services
Because of our focus on rehabilitation, we don’t offer volunteer opportunities in pharmacy, surgery, the emergency room or for physician assistants.
College Student Volunteer Program
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital offers volunteer opportunities for college students pursuing degrees in physical therapy, speech-language pathology, recreation therapy, occupational therapy and child life. In this program college students assist clinician with set-up and break down before and after patient therapy. They help keep the rehabilitation gyms and areas organized and sanitized while observing therapy from nearby. Some direct observation occurs as time allows but this is not always guaranteed. In this program college student volunteers support professionals in our inpatient and outpatient areas. Child life volunteers assist in the inpatient pediatrics area by engaging patients and their families in leisure activity between therapies. They also assist staff with organizing and sanitizing playrooms and other duties as needed.
Things to Know
• College students must be able to commit to at least one 15-week session.
• College students must be able to commit to one shift per week.
• Shifts are typically 3 hours long.
• Limited weekend shifts are available.
• The earliest volunteer shift is 8 am – noon and the latest shift offered is 4 pm – 7 pm.
• Volunteers are not assigned one-to-one to a therapist.
• Reference letter and graduate school form completion is not considered, unless a student has finished two consecutive volunteer sessions. While Mary Free Bed staff isn’t obligated to complete graduate forms or write reference letters, the appropriate hospital staff member will happily complete these documents should a student’s efforts warrant. It’s the student’s obligation to let the therapists know they are interested in having letters and/or forms completed.
Please email your name, academic focus and the session contacts list you would like to be placed on. (Sessions: 1. Spring/summer 2. Fall 3. Winter) to firstname.lastname@example.org. There is no need to apply until you’ve been contacted and received a spot in the program. You will receive an emailed confirmation to alert you that you are on the appropriate contacts list.
Career Seminar – High School and College Students
Mary Free Bed’s Career Seminar Program is for high school and college students interested in health care. Participants can expect to learn about speech-language pathology, orthotics and prosthetics, occupational therapy, physical therapy, recreational therapy, psychology and nursing.
Students will receive information on schooling requirements, potential salary expectations and a typical day’s routine. Job shadowing opportunities are offered on a limited basis and students must attend a career seminar before signing up for job shadowing opportunities.
2017 Career Seminar Dates:
Seats are limited. To reserve your seat email email@example.com with your name and the name of the school you currently attend. A confirmation will be sent to you. The topics presented are subject to staff availability.
For more Career Exploration Seminar information or to request a flyer, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Volunteer Services at 616.840.8667.