Mary Free Bed volunteers have the opportunity to give back to the community by providing assistance to patients, visitors and staff. In addition to the joy of helping others, volunteers receive exposure to healthcare careers and special recognition. Volunteer opportunities are available for both students and non-students.
• 18 years or older
• Available for one shift per week
• Willing to follow the hospital’s dress code and appearance standards
• Customer-service oriented
• Able to commit to a minimum of 6 months (students must be able to commit to a minimum of 12 weeks)
• Able to complete pre-placement requirements, orientation and training
All volunteers are asked to read and follow Mary Free Bed’s Standards of Behavior. (Click link to view and download Standards.)
• Activity cart
• Clerical assistance
• Child life
• Physical therapy and occupational therapy
• Reading and craft activities
• Many other opportunities
Because of our focus on rehabilitation, we don’t offer volunteer opportunities in pharmacy, surgery, the emergency room or for physician assistants.
College Student Volunteer Program
Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital has a limited number of volunteer positions for college students pursuing degrees in physical therapy, speech-language pathology, recreation therapy, radiology or occupational therapy. Students will have the opportunity to observe therapists and maintain the cleanliness of therapy areas. Student volunteers can observe professionals in the inpatient and outpatient adult areas and outpatient pediatric area.
Things to Know
• College students must be able to commit to at least one 12-week session.
• College students must be able to commit to one shift per week.
• Shifts are typically 3 hours long.
• Limited weekend shifts are available.
• The earliest volunteer shift is 8 am – noon and the latest shift offered is 4 pm – 7 pm.
• Volunteers are not assigned one-to-one to a therapist.
• Reference letter and graduate school form completion is not considered, unless a student has finished two consecutive volunteer sessions. While Mary Free Bed staff isn’t obligated to complete graduate forms or write reference letters, the appropriate hospital staff member will happily complete these documents should a student’s efforts warrant. It’s the student’s obligation to let the therapists know they are interested in having letters and/or forms completed.
Mary Free Bed’s Career Seminar Program is for high school and college students interested in health care. Participants can expect to learn about speech-language pathology, orthotics and prosthetics, occupational therapy, physical therapy, recreational therapy, psychology and nursing.
Students will receive information on schooling requirements, potential salary expectations and a typical day’s routine. Job shadowing opportunities are offered on a limited basis and students must attend a career seminar before signing up for job shadowing opportunities.
Career Seminar Dates (stay tuned for upcoming dates)
Seats are limited and reservations are required. The topics presented are subject to staff availability.
For more career seminar information or to reserve a spot, call Mary Free Bed’s Volunteer Services at 616.840.8667 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.