The didactic core curriculum for Mary Free Bed’s PM&R Residency program incorporates many learning activities, including lectures, workshops, demonstrations, case presentations, journal clubs, simulations, clinics, panel discussions and community service field trips.
The core curriculum didactics will be based on a 12-month cycle, so that topics are reviewed at least three times during the residency. Residents have protected time during didactics, and their clinical duties will be covered by their attending or other clinical staff.
- Lectures on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday by department faculty members at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital, invited lecturers by clinicians within the Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Network and Mercy Health Saint Mary’s Hospital, Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital and Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.
- Weekly Grand Rounds on Monday
- Weekly musculoskeletal ultrasound lectures and practice sessions on Monday evening
- Weekly PORT (Practice Oriented Research Training) Seminar Series in the fall/winter through the John F. Butzer Center for Research & Innovation available to residents.
- Biweekly interesting case discussions on Friday.
- Monthly Journal Club led by a resident and attending physician.
- Intensive anatomy blocks incorporating a live anatomical prosection at the cadaver lab at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine, physical exam techniques, ultrasound and EMG.
- Anatomy, ultrasound and EMG incorporated into lectures throughout the year.
The curriculum is based on modules that cover the major topic areas of PM&R, as well as core competencies supported by goals and objectives important to the practice of rehabilitation medicine.
- Functional anatomy
- Physical exam and history
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Electrodiagnostic medicine
- Gait, kinesiology, kinematics
- Orthotics, prosthetics
- Wheelchairs and DME
- Research methods
- Exercise and modalities
- Rehabilitation therapies
- Medical administration
- Psychometric and vocational testing
- Pediatric rehabilitation
- Spinal cord injury
- Traumatic brain injury
- Post-stroke rehabilitation
- Amputation rehabilitation
- Cancer rehabilitation
- Cardiac rehabilitation and fitness
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Orthopedic rehabilitation and arthritis
- Spine and musculoskeletal medicine
- Sports medicine