Residents complete one research project and one quality improvement project during their residency. Each resident has an assigned faculty mentor who meets regularly with the resident to facilitate scholarly activities.
Here are some of the projects under way:
Resident Research Projects
- Concentrations of Interleukin-1 Family Members in Synovial Fluid – Temilola Abdul, M.D.; Christopher Evans, Ph.D. (Mayo Clinic); Tao Yang, Ph.D. (Van Andel Institute); Kelly Armstrong, M.D. (Mary Free Bed); Christopher Morelli, D.O. (Mary Free Bed)
- The Role of Music Therapy in Visuospatial Neglect – Elizabeth Aguila, M.D., and Peter Muszkiewicz, MT-BC (Mary Free Bed)
- Functional Electrical Stimulation for Improvement in Respiratory Health in Spinal Cord Injury in Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility – A Feasibility Study – Yunna Sinskey, M.D.; Nicholas Gut M.D.; Brian McInerney, M.D.; Kyle Josephson, M.D.; Kelsey Darlington, M.D.; Clayton Luyk, M.D.; Richard Ball, M.D. (Mary Free Bed)
- Yunna Sinskey received the 2020 Center for Research and Innovation Investigator Award for $15,000 for this study.
- Diagnostic Accuracy for Critical Illness Neuropathy (CIN) and Critical Illness Myopathy (CIM) in the Inpatient Rehabilitation Setting – Kyle Josephson, M.D., and Richard Ball, M.D. (Mary Free Bed)
Resident Quality Improvement Projects
- Patient Knowledge of Spine Condition – Kelsey Darlington, M.D., and Carolyn Vollmer, M.D. (Mary Free Bed); Lynda Yang, M.D., Ph.D. (University of Michigan)
- Standardizing Bladder Management with Order Set – Brian McInerney, M.D., and Michael Wheaton, M.D. (Mary Free Bed)
- Residency Objectives and Guidelines to Rotations – Jason Coombs, D.O., Brian McInerney, M.D, and Richard Ball, M.D. (Mary Free Bed)
- Educating Nursing Staff for Complex Medical Issues – Yunna Sinskey, M,D., and Nicholas Gut, M.D.
Residents are encouraged to give research and case presentations at conferences, such as the American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and Association of Academic Physiatrists conferences. During the 2019-20 academic year, five residents presented case reports at AAPM&R and six residents presented at AAP.
- AAPM&R – Nov. 14-17, 2019, San Antonio, Texas
- The Role of Inpatient Rehabilitation for the Diagnosis of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS): A Case Report
- Recurrent Knee Flexion Contracture after Total Knee Arthroplasty Unveils Movement Disorder: A Case Report
- Spasticity Management in a Patient with Aicardi-Goutieres Syndrome with IFIH1 Variant: A Case Report
- Atlantooccipital Dislocation Recovery C1 ASIA C, 2/5 Toe Movement Unilaterally; Recovered C1 ASIA D Walking without DME in Three Months: A Case Report
- Lung Metastasis to the Hip Mimics Musculoskeletal Pathology
- AAP/ISPRM I — March 4-9, 2020, Orlando, Florida
- Rehabilitation of persistent post-hypoxic myoclonus (Lance-Adams Syndrome [LAS]): A Case Report
- Development of Assays for Patient Monitoring in a Phase 1 Clinical Trial of Arthritis Gene Therapy
- Near Total Loss of Autologous Bone Flap after Cranioplasty due to Spontaneous Resorption, Impressively Demonstrated by 3D Computed Tomography Image Reconstruction
- The Effect of Abdominal Functional Electrical Stimulation in Spinal Cord Injury – A Review
- Will Paralympic Track Runners One Day Be Faster than the Olympic Track Runners?
- Improved Control of Trunk/Lower Limb Hypertonia and Hyperreflexia after Repositioning of Intrathecal Baclofen (ITB) Infusion Catheter from Vertebral T3 to T12 Location: A Case Report
Many other research projects are being conducted through Mary Free Bed’s John F. Butzer Center for Research and Innovation.