Registered dietitian nutritionists (RDNs) are nutrition experts who’ve met academic and professional requirements established by the Commission on Dietetic Registration, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetic’s credentialing agency.
RDNs provide vital food and nutrition services while helping individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
Patients Who are Eligible for this Program
Outpatient Nutrition Services at Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital may be appropriate for the following patients, including, but not limited to:
- Pediatric patients
- Diabetes mellitus
- Weight management
- Post-bariatric surgery
- Spinal cord injury
- Chronic kidney disease
- Tube feeding management
How a Dietitian Can Help
An RDN with Mary Free Bed Nutrition Services can assist with:
- Disease prevention and management through nutrition and lifestyle changes
- Assisting patients in meeting their special dietary needs
- Tailoring each patient’s education based on his or her needs
- Setting goals
- Improving and strengthening the continuum of care
What to Expect from Nutrition Services at Mary Free Bed
Individualized appointments are based on each patient’s nutritional needs. Patient and dietitian determine the need for follow-up based on initial assessment. This appointment usually lasts about an hour with a follow-up session lasting about 30 minutes.
How to Make a Referral to Nutrition Services
1. Complete the referral form, found here.
2. Fax referral to 616.840.9642. Follow-up questions may be directed via phone to 616.840.8005.
3. Mary Free Bed’s Outpatient Therapy Center will call the patient to schedule an appointment. Patient and Financial Services will verify the patient’s insurance information.