Autism Spectrum Disorder is a serious developmental disability characterized by varying deficits in communication abilities and social skills, and repetitive behaviors.
The number of children diagnosed with ASD is growing rapidly, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which estimates that one in 54 children in the United States has the disability. It’s four times more common in boys and occurs in all racial, ethnic and socioeconomic groups.
Research shows early intervention can make a significant difference in a child’s healthy development. Mary Free Bed Kids offers specialized diagnostic and intervention services, including Applied Behavioral Analysis, for optimal growth.
Mary Free Bed, an Approved Autism Evaluation Center (AAEC), offers diagnostic services at our main campus in downtown Grand Rapids as well as Network locations in Bay City and Traverse City. Before treatment can begin, a diagnosis of autism from an AAEC is required by Blue Cross Blue Shield and Blue Care Network. An autism diagnosis is required for all patients to receive ABA therapy.
Call 616.840.8946 to check insurance eligibility.
Our specialists will identify your child’s strengths, struggles and needs to develop an individualized treatment plan that improves:
- Functional communication
- Social and play skills
- Independent living skills, such as getting dressed
Supervised by a Board-Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA), ABA therapy is an intensive, evidence-based treatment technique for autism. Plans of care utilize reinforcement and other specialized strategies to help improve your child’s overall functioning.
Treatment takes place in a safe and friendly environment. Depending on your child’s individual plan of care, it may include:
- Between 20 and 40 hours each week of ABA therapy. Some care plans may recommend less hours.
- One-on-one therapy with a Registered Behavior Technician (RBT), supervised by a BCBA.
- Social skills training with near-age peer groups, supported by an RBT.
- Bi-weekly training for you and other caregivers to be actively involved, so you can learn and implement effective strategies that reinforce your child’s behavior at home.
- Constant collaboration with your child’s caregivers, school and other external support systems to coordinate care.
Our autism program offers services for children and adolescents from about 18 months through 18 years of age. Call the location nearest you for more information.
Mary Free Bed Walker
1550 Three Mile Road NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49544
Mary Free Bed at Munson Medical Center –
Foster Family Community Health Center
550 Munson Ave.
Traverse City, MI 49686
At our Traverse City location, care begins at the age of 24 months.
Mary Free Bed at Covenant Center for Autism
2919 E. Wilder Road
Bay City, MI 48706