• Patient is medically stable at time of transfer
• Patient demonstrates rehabilitation potential
• Patient is capable of participation in a minimum of 3 hours of therapy per day
• Cognitive level: Adult Brain Injury – Cognitive levels between III-VIII on Rancho Los Amigos Scale of Cognitive Functioning
• Pediatric/Adolescent Brain Injury – Cognitive levels between II-VII
• Patient demonstrates potential for home-like discharge
• Identification of insurance for prior authorization of transfer to Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital
Please note that patients frequently fall into gray areas and admission is determined on an individual basis. Special criteria apply for inpatient admission to our Sub-Acute Rehabilitation Program. Please call to speak with an admission liaison to discuss questionable cases.
The admission liaison will continue to call nursing units and therapies to further clarify a patient’s status, rehabilitation potential and gather information for insurance prior authorization. Local referrals are generally seen by a physiatrist to determine medical appropriateness for admission. Out-of-town referrals are reviewed by a physiatrist, through medical records, via contact with the Mary Free Bed admission liaison.