- What will my life be like?
- Will I be able to take care of myself?
- Will I ever walk again?
- Will I be able to return to work or school? Have children? What about all the other activities I love to do?
These questions are just the tip of the iceberg. We’ll help you and your loved ones find answers to these and others you haven’t even thought of yet.
Each year we help more than 250 people with spinal cord injuries return to fulfilling lives. You may need to learn to do things differently than you did before your spine injury, but we’ll help you become as independent as possible with your self-care and return to activities that give your life meaning; whether work, school or play.
At Mary Free Bed, your spinal cord injury rehabilitation is tailored to your needs. You’ll have a team of specialists who understand the physical, emotional and practical challenges unique to people with spinal cord injuries. What’s more, they’ll take time to understand you as an individual. What are your concerns? What are your goals? What motivates you and gives your life meaning? It’s this comprehensive, holistic approach that enables you to heal and move beyond your injury.
Traveling to Mary Free Bed from outside of West Michigan? Our admissions liaisons are happy to provide you with helpful information about the many comfortable and affordable local lodging options available – including the on-campus inn at Mary Free Bed. Ample free parking is available on our easy-to-navigate downtown campus. We also offer free valet parking for patients and visitors arriving at our inpatient building.
We offer outpatient therapy and follow-up clinics for graduates of our Spinal Cord Injury Program, as well as for patients who have been referred to us by other care providers.
Please click here to learn about our services for children and teens who have experienced a spinal cord injury.
Why Mary Free Bed?
It’s your right to choose where you receive rehabilitation services. Why “Ask for Mary?”
• Our teams of experienced doctors, nurses and therapists specialize in treating people with spinal cord injuries. We’re the only rehabilitation facility in West Michigan with this level of specialization. We’re not simply a rehab unit; we’re specifically accredited as a Spinal Cord Injury System of Care by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities International (CARF). This voluntary but rigorous accreditation process is based on specific and comprehensive standards ensuring the highest-quality rehabilitation for people with spinal cord injuries.
• Our track records of patient success and satisfaction speak for themselves.
• We offer comprehensive, specialty services resulting in a full continuum of care that is available at any point during your rehabilitation: inpatient, outpatient, home and community and life-long follow-up medical care.
• Our program is part of the United Spinal Association’s Affiliate Service Program, a resource intended to help patients and caregivers identify the most valuable disability-related services across the country.
How does our Spinal Cord Injury Program differ from other spine rehabilitation providers? We offer programs and services for a lifetime, even beyond the completion of your inpatient and outpatient courses of rehabilitation. Whether it’s participating in one of the many adaptive sports clinics or sports teams sponsored by our Wheelchair & Adaptive Sports Department, attending one of our Spinal Cord Injury educational symposiums or participating in peer support activities, an array of life-enhancing activities are available to you and your family.
Ask for a referral or call us directly: 616.840.8370