Losing a limb due to an accident or illness may be the most traumatic and life-altering thing that’s ever happened to you. It may seem impossible to believe, but you can get back on track and resume your life. We know because we’ve helped thousands of patients do just that. In fact, several members of our prosthetic team have artificial limbs and proudly walk the talk.
The Amputee Team at Mary Free Bed specializes in treating people who’ve had surgeries similar to yours. Your team answers questions, teaches you how to care for yourself and your residual limb, helps you learn new ways to accomplish daily activities and provides instruction and amputation physical therapy so you can successfully use a prosthetic device. When you’ve been fitted with your prosthesis, the goals of outpatient therapy are to make sure you’re proficient, safe and the prosthetic device is comfortable.
We understand you may feel anxious and uncertain. Our seasoned professionals will help you create a care plan that maximizes your function and prepares you for a successful return to your home, job and community. We’re here for you now and for the rest of your life.
We offer outpatient therapy and follow-up clinics for graduates of our Amputee Program, as well as for patients who have been referred to us by other care providers.
Please click here to learn about our services for children and teens who have had an amputation.
Why Mary Free Bed?
You have the right to choose where you receive rehabilitation services following an amputation. Why “Ask for Mary?”
• Our Amputee Team of experienced doctors, nurses and therapists specializes in treating patients with amputations.
• The percentage of our amputee patients who are able to return home or to a homelike setting exceeds national benchmarks.
• We have sophisticated technology – some of which we can begin using while you’re still in the acute care hospital. We also have one of the only accredited Motion Analysis Centers in the country, which will help us to study your gait and work with you to improve it.
• We’re a one-stop rehabilitation resource for you. Whether you need them now or in the future, there are comprehensive specialty services on site, including Orthotics & Prosthetics and Driver Rehabilitation.
• We invite your physicians to continue participating in your care at Mary Free Bed.
Your physical recovery isn’t our only focus. Social workers and psychologists are available to support both you and your family. No one understands your situation better than someone who has had an amputation. Our Amputee Mentor Program matches you with other amputees who can share their personal experiences and insights. Patients tell us this mentoring has a positive impact on their lives well beyond the time they spend here as patients.