The pediatric rehabilitation specialists at Mary Free Bed can put your son or daughter on the path to recovery with compassion and expert care.
Mary Free Bed is one of the only inpatient rehabilitation hospitals in Michigan with a unit designated exclusively for children and teens. Our therapy gyms were designed and built with our pediatric patients in mind. Our doctors, nurses and therapists are exclusively focused on pediatric care and treat young people who have experienced:
• Brain injury, brain-related illnesses and concussion
• Neurological conditions
• Spinal cord injury
• Chronic pain conditions
• Other debilitating illnesses and injuries
Amid the comprehensive therapies and treatment, we work to establish close and personal connections with our patients and their families. These connections are important to successful rehabilitation.
Our pediatric team is inspired by the grit and determination of our young patients. We feel privileged to play a part in helping them and their families find hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
We offer outpatient therapy and follow-up clinics for graduates of our pediatric inpatient rehabilitation program, as well as for patients who have been referred to us by other care providers.
Why Mary Free Bed?
Improving the quality of life for children and teens has been an important part of Mary Free Bed’s mission for more than a century. Each year, our inpatient program serves about 130 children and teens, partnering with each one to achieve his or her maximum potential.
Here are a few reasons why families choose us for pediatric rehabilitation:
• Our team includes doctors who specialize in pediatric rehabilitation, nurses and therapists who focus solely on treating children and a certified child life specialist, making Mary Free Bed the only hospital in Michigan to offer this level of rehabilitative care for children and adolescents.
• We have fun! Kids are more likely to participate in therapy – and will be more successful – if they enjoy it. Our innovative staff is adept at using interactive games and other means to captivate and motivate your child.
• We consistently exceed national benchmarks for the improvements our patients make in physical mobility and function.
• The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) International has endorsed us with Pediatric Specialty Accreditation, which means we set and meet high standards for family-centered, developmentally appropriate pediatric patient care and satisfaction.
• Our admissions liaisons are happy to provide patients and their families who live outside West Michigan with helpful information about comfortable and affordable local lodging, including the on-campus inn at Mary Free Bed. Free parking is available on our easy-to-navigate downtown campus. We also offer free valet parking for patients and visitors arriving at our inpatient building.
Even after your child “graduates” from our inpatient rehabilitation hospital, we will be here to help you through the remainder of the rehabilitation process with outpatient therapy, home or community-based therapy, orthotics, prosthetics, wheelchair seating, aquatic therapy, driver education, adaptive sports and many other services.
Ask for a referral or call us directly: 616.840.8370