Your child needs rehabilitation. Now what? With a formula of compassion, expert care and proven results, the pediatric rehabilitation specialists at Mary Free Bed can put your son or daughter on the path to recovery.
At Mary Free Bed, we don’t just treat the pediatric patient; we involve the entire family. We’ll address your concerns, answer your questions and, in the process, work hard to allay many of your fears. We might even have a little fun along the way!
Mary Free Bed is the only inpatient rehabilitation hospital in Michigan with a unit designated exclusively for children and teens. Our therapy gyms were designed and built with our pediatric patients in mind. Our doctors, nurses and therapists are exclusively focused on pediatric care, treating young people who have experienced:
• Brain injury, brain-related illnesses and concussion
• Neurological conditions
• Spinal cord injury
• Fractures (including multiple fractures)
• Chronic pain conditions
• Other debilitating illnesses and injuries
Amid the comprehensive therapies and treatment, we work to establish close and personal connections with our patients and their families. These connections are important keys to a successful rehabilitation.
Our pediatric team is inspired by the grit and determination of our young patients. We feel privileged to play a part in helping them and their families find hope and freedom through rehabilitation.
We offer outpatient therapy and follow-up clinics for graduates of our pediatric inpatient rehabilitation program, as well as for patients who have been referred to us by other care providers.
Why Mary Free Bed?
Improving the quality of life for children and teens has been an important part of Mary Free Bed’s mission for more than a century. Each year, our inpatient program serves about 130 children and teens, partnering with each one to achieve his or her maximum potential.
Here are a few reasons why families choose us for pediatric rehabilitation:
• Our team includes three doctors who specialize in pediatric rehabilitation and a certified child life specialist. The nurses and therapists on the pediatric team also focus solely on treating children, making Mary Free Bed the only hospital in Michigan to offer this level of rehabilitative care for children and adolescents.
• We have fun! Kids are more likely to participate in therapy – and will be more successful – if they enjoy it. Our innovative staff is adept at using interactive games and other means to captivate and motivate your child.
• We consistently exceed national benchmarks for the improvements our patients make in physical mobility and function.
• The Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) International has endorsed us with Pediatric Specialty Accreditation, which means we set and meet high standards for family-centered, developmentally appropriate pediatric patient care and satisfaction.
Even after your child “graduates” from our inpatient rehabilitation hospital, we’ll still be here to help you through the remainder of the rehabilitation process with services such as outpatient therapy, home or community based therapy, orthotics, prosthetics, wheelchair seating, aquatic therapy, driver education, adaptive sports and many others, both at the hospital and in the community.