Our teams are open to anyone with a permanent physical disability that limits participation in able-bodied sports.
If you want to participate, you must have a physical impairment and:
- Need modification to participate in leisure and sports activities because of a physical disability.
- Be able to benefit from participation in group activities.
- Be alert, oriented and able to follow directions.
- Be free of disruptive behavioral issues that would create a danger to self or others.
- Live in a non-institutional setting.
- Be cognitively able to participate in the program at an appropriate developmental level.
- Be able to use upper extremities to independently push a sports chair or handcycle, or to independently propel on the ice using sled hockey sticks. (Power chairs may be used in power soccer and wheelchair tennis, based on coordinator and coach evaluation.)
- Participants must be evaluated by a team coordinator and coach prior to placement.
The Mary Free Bed YMCA, 5500 Burton St. SE, serves as a home base for many teams.