At Mary Free Bed, we understand the physical and emotional complexities that come with caring for a young person who is in a vulnerable state. First and foremost, we work hard to help your child feel “normal” again. Our pediatric unit is a safe place where kids get to be kids.
Many different strategies and types of therapies are used in our pediatric rehabilitation program. Therapists discover what engages their young patients and then use that knowledge to grab their attention and motivate them to work hard.
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution or outcome. Your child’s therapy plan and pace of recovery may be different from another child’s, even though their challenges may be similar.
Here are a few things you can expect while your child is an inpatient in our Pediatric Rehabilitation Program:
• Pediatric therapy gyms designed for and used only by children and teens
• Bright and cheerful social spaces and playrooms where young patients can meet and connect with others their own age
• Equipment and games for all ages and developmental levels
• iPads, Wii Rehabilitation and laptops to appeal to the curious and tech savvy
• On-site educational support available through a certified Grand Rapids Public School teacher
• An environment that welcomes your child’s pediatrician to participate in rehabilitation care and planning
• A variety of comfy and affordable lodging options, including rooming with your child, staying on site at the inn at Mary Free Bed or at the Ronald McDonald House of Western Michigan, which provides a home away from home for families of hospitalized children and shuttles families to and from the hospital
Children also need ample rest and quiet time. We offer a safe, secure and structured environment with plenty of support and compassion, not only for your child but for your entire family. Our pediatric unit is filled with families who are experiencing similar situations. Their support and insight can be a blessing.
Your Mary Free Bed experience doesn’t have to end when your son or daughter “graduates” from our inpatient program. Many of our pediatric patients continue receiving therapy through Mary Free Bed’s outpatient programs and clinics. We’ll be here to offer follow-up services for as long as your family needs us.