In July 2002, before he joined Mary Free Bed, Kent was driving with family members when they were hit by a drunken driver. The accident left Kent’s wife, Susan, comatose for two weeks with a traumatic brain injury. Friends encouraged Kent to choose Mary Free Bed for her rehabilitation.
When Susan arrived, she didn’t recognize herself, her husband or their four children. After seven weeks of intensive rehabilitation, Susan’s memory came back and she returned home. Today, Susan runs the Riddle household, is an active member of the Mary Free Bed Guild and visits brain injury patients to encourage them as they recover.
“The acute care hospital saved my wife’s life, but Mary Free Bed is the reason Susan is with us today,” said Kent, who joined the Mary Free Bed Board of Trustees shortly after the accident and was invited to be CEO in 2011. “I remember thinking, ‘I’ll do anything I can to help bring this level of comprehensive rehabilitation to all who can benefit from it’.”
What makes our Brain Injury Team exceptional is its focus and experience. While we can’t promise a complete recovery during your inpatient stay, we pledge to do everything we can to help maximize your potential. We offer outpatient therapy and follow-up clinics for graduates of our program as well as patients who have been referred to us by other care providers.
Please click here to learn about our services for children and teens who have experienced a brain injury.
Why Mary Free Bed?
It’s your right to choose where you receive rehabilitation services. Why “Ask for Mary?”
• Our team of experienced doctors, nurses, therapists and other clinicians exclusively treat patients with traumatic brain injuries.
• 99% of our patients are satisfied or highly satisfied with Mary Free Bed’s care and support.
• We have comprehensive and specialty services on site if you need them now or in the future, including inpatient and outpatient services as well as a home and community program.
• We invite your physicians to continue participating in your brain injury recovery at Mary Free Bed.
• Our admissions liaisons are happy to provide patients and their families who live outside West Michigan with helpful information about comfortable and affordable local lodging, including the on-campus inn at Mary Free Bed. Free parking is available on our easy-to-navigate downtown campus. We also offer free valet parking for patients and visitors arriving at our inpatient building.
Our Brain Injury Program is endorsed by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) International. This voluntary but rigorous accreditation process is based on a comprehensive set of standards for quality care and patient satisfaction. Many of our nurses and therapists are Certified Brain Injury Specialists. Plus, some registered nurses have additional certification in rehabilitation nursing.
Ask for a referral or call us directly: 616.840.8370